TML - The Teaching Mission Website

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mike Queen's Introduction  (Read 600 times)

Michael S Queen

• "our hands brush/one finger/then/two"
    • View Profile
    • Where in the world is Mike Queen?
Mike Queen's Introduction
« on: April 30, 2016, 21:27 »

Midway through 1975, one summer between ski guiding seasons in Utah, one of my dearest friends came to stay with me while he mended a broken heart. We were both scratching at the hardscrabble trying to keep bologna in the fridge. I mean, money was REALLY tight. One day, Lee returned home from a trip to Dolly's Bookstore in Park City to inform me he had just special-ordered a book on my charge account there...a book he had seen in Oregon at another friend's house...a book that cost what amounted, then, to two week's groceries. Fearful of the economic impact of his decision, I displayed extreme displeasure and groused about the situation the entire two week's it took for the book to arrive. But Lee let the grousing and the anger just roll off his back as he quietly awaited the shipment.
    Dolly called when the book arrived and we drove to Park City from Wanship to accept delivery. I continued my simmering complaint the entire way there and home again. At home, Lee opened the enormous box to reveal a beautifully bound, HUGE blue volume with three concentric circles embossed on the cover. He nestled on the couch in the sunshine and began to read, oblivious to my spluttering and running gripes.
    Four hours later, he smilingly lifted his eyes from its pages to announce he had read more of value in the first 54 pages of the big blue book than he had in all the other books in his life. I made some disparaging comment about the span of Lee's literary endeavors to which he replied with a smile that I can recall as clearly this morning as when it happened. His words, hefted on the shaft of that smile penetrating to the heart of me, were: "Read it Michael, just read it."
    When he finally laid the volume aside a while, I did exactly that. The Urantia Book has proven to be the single most important book I have ever read and I encourage everyone to do as Lee bade me.

I was born in Juneau, Alaska Territory, and was a Nordic ski racer, collegiate coach, and back country ski guide prior to a sixteen year career as an Anchorage Firefighter/EMT.  Father of Derek, husband of Ellen, poet, and Purser for the Alaska Marine Highway, we live near Kasaan, on Prince of Wales Island. I have been blessed to have been able to receive Spirit transmissions for a little while now... and I practice daily to become more proficient.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 00:09 by Michael S Queen »
Pneyoptia

michael s. queen
PO Box 19470
Thorne Bay, Alaska 99919-0470

Email: pursermike@hotmail.com

“The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea.”
Isak Dinesen
Pages: [1]   Go Up